Friday, March 24, 2006

Talk of The Devil

This phrase came out of my mouth while 1 of my group members turned up at the time when I was talking about him to another 1 in the laboratory. He laughed after hearing it and corrected me, "u mean 'speak of the devil', ha, 'talk of the devil'". I laughed it off too.

I came to realize the fact that I am unable to correct some of my Singlish after staying here for about a year. I still remember several hilarious incidents that happened last year. 1st was when I SMS my Aussie friend to get the contact numbers of another friend. In the SMS, I typed something like this, "Can give me the contact number of XXX? house phone and HP." He only replied me the house number. It hit me that he did not know what HP meant. The next day I explained the term to him and we had a good laugh.

Another incident was at a food stall. I think I wrote this in 1 of my previous post but I am not entirely sure and lazy to check my archive. I am seated on a 4 persons table alone while this lady came up and asked, "Is this seat FREE?". I replied 'NO' before she even started asking. She was dumbfounded, all the evidences showed that I was alone. After seeing her expression, I asked her what did she say. Then I replied, yes, after listened to her question completely.

I could not help but think about why it happened. In SG, people would ask, "Anybody sitting here?" which is direct translated from Chinese, "有人坐吗?". Singaporeans have been hearing that phrase for their whole life that subconsciously they will reply 'NO' in any situation. I have seen cases in a noisy area where people just used 'head language' to reply 'no' when people come up to them pointing at the chair. I wonder what will happen if I do the same thing over here in a similar environment.

After about a year, I still notice that sometimes, I will use 'I and my friends' instead of 'My friends and I'. I will repeat what I said in the correct form whenever I notice a strange expression on the person I am talking to. Perhaps I still need more time to correct my Singlish to English.

posted by Estan @ 10:40:00 PM (GMT+08:00).



Photo Album Links
F1 Grand Prix(03/04/06)
Genting Trip(07/01/06)
Melbourne Tour(30/06/05)
Melbourne City(05/03/05)
Melbourne Obeservation Deck(02/03/05)
Great Ocean Road(26/02/05)

About Me
24 years old from Singapore, studying Computer Systems in RMIT University.

Interests
Computers, Anime, Manga, Movies, TV, Liverpool FC

Disclaimer
What u have read, are my experiences, encounters and views at the point of writing. It is for me to look back and re-evaluate how different I think now and then. Comments are welcome.

Joke Per Post (If I Remember)
Mexican American War

During the Mexican/American war, an intense long standoff occurred along the front. For days and days neither side made any advances. Finally, an American general had a bright idea.
He aimed his rifle to the Mexican trenches and yelled "Hey Juan!"
A soldier jumped up and replied "What?"
The general shot him dead. This continued for three days.
A Mexican general decided that two could play this game and decided to try it out. He called out "Hey John!!"
An American replied "John isn't here......is that you Juan?"
The Mexican general stood up, "Yeah!"...

Interesting Links
Xpat Xperience
Redfish
OpenOffice vs. Microsoft Office
Linux Fedora Boot Faster
Microsoft and Opera Battle Result
Win XP2 Review and Tweak
Google + Bush









 Use OpenOffice.org

Firefox Flicks!




moon info