Monday, September 05, 2005

Better Software?

I have been trying out Firefox. It has the same effect to me as Openoffice. I think it is better than IE. I love the extensions it has. 1 is the Noscript extension. It lets you choose whether to allow the javascript of the webpage you visiting. The button is located at the status bar so you can just click the button to allow script to website you visit frequently. There are options to allow or temporarily allow script on webpages. This is very useful for surfing webpages for the 1st time.

Secondly the ad blocker extension, I do not know whether it is the result of this extension or the built-in pop-up blocker it has that is better than IE, some of the website I visit frequently keep having pop ups even if the popup blocker is active together with google tool bar's popup blocker. There is no popups when I use Firefox. There is also the Chatzilla extension. An IRC software build in to Firefox. I usually use mIRC to chat with my girlfriend but with Chatzilla this has became more convenient.

I love the tabs extension that allows Firefox to open webpages in tabs within the browser window. IE usually becomes slower when there are a lot of browsers, it hangs my system once! It is also troublesome to click on the taskbar than click the website browser you want, or press alt+tab to choose the desired website browser/application. For Firefox, you just click the tab you want or press ctl+tab to move from left to right, ctl+shift+tab to move from right to left or ctl+1 to the 1st tab, 2 to 2nd tab and so on.

I also like the weather forecast extension. The icon display is on the status bar instead of those standalone softwares on the system tray. The weather forecast also allow multiple profiles, I can change from Melbourne weather to Singapore weather with just a right click to select the profile. Another thing I notice, Firefox loads website much faster than IE. IE usually takes a long time to load certain pages, even for ages that makes you sit and wait, and then an error page comes up and you start to curse and swear. This is not the case for firefox, it will popup a message saying the website could not be connected after a few seconds. This is what software should do.

I am beginning to look for alternatives in software I usually use since there are so many free 1s. My lecturer who recommended Openoffice said people tend to be bias on the softwares that they used 1st and do not attempt to test other softwares. He purposely made the report template in Openoffice format to make students try out Openoffice. It was a great strategy; I am a good example of it. I heard of how good Openoffice, Firefox and some other softwares that are better than or as good as softwares that come along with Windows. However I was reluctant to try them but not any more! I think I will try GIMP next time. GNU Image Manipulation Program, see if it is better than other image/photos manipulation softwares.

Sadly, some websites are solely made to interface with IE. My blog for example, Firefox can still display the webpage but some of the layout will be out of alignment. I tried to play with the html code on blogger but to no avail. I will keep trying though, to see if it is blogger's problem or the html code problem, during my short leisure time. :)

posted by Estan @ 10:26:00 PM (GMT+08:00).



Photo Album Links
F1 Grand Prix(03/04/06)
Genting Trip(07/01/06)
Melbourne Tour(30/06/05)
Melbourne City(05/03/05)
Melbourne Obeservation Deck(02/03/05)
Great Ocean Road(26/02/05)

About Me
24 years old from Singapore, studying Computer Systems in RMIT University.

Interests
Computers, Anime, Manga, Movies, TV, Liverpool FC

Disclaimer
What u have read, are my experiences, encounters and views at the point of writing. It is for me to look back and re-evaluate how different I think now and then. Comments are welcome.

Joke Per Post (If I Remember)
Mexican American War

During the Mexican/American war, an intense long standoff occurred along the front. For days and days neither side made any advances. Finally, an American general had a bright idea.
He aimed his rifle to the Mexican trenches and yelled "Hey Juan!"
A soldier jumped up and replied "What?"
The general shot him dead. This continued for three days.
A Mexican general decided that two could play this game and decided to try it out. He called out "Hey John!!"
An American replied "John isn't here......is that you Juan?"
The Mexican general stood up, "Yeah!"...

Interesting Links
Xpat Xperience
Redfish
OpenOffice vs. Microsoft Office
Linux Fedora Boot Faster
Microsoft and Opera Battle Result
Win XP2 Review and Tweak
Google + Bush









 Use OpenOffice.org

Firefox Flicks!




moon info